Friday, August 12, 2011

A Guide to Witnessing

If God has called you to witness by approaching people who may be unbelievers here are a few tips:


1) Know what your goal is.
One of the first questions should be "Are you saved?"
If the person in not saved then the goal is salvation.


If they are saved they may be backslidden (not actively pursuing the will of God or acknowledging their connection to God). You can pray with them for a renewal of their relationship with God. A great scripture to encourage them and remind them of God's mercy and forgiveness is James 4:8 "Come close to God and He will come close to you."


If they are saved and not backslidden you can ask if they need prayer.


2) Know your information.
When you ask someone if they are saved they may not even know what it means to be saved. You must know and specifically be able to explain to them what it means.
How do I receive salvation?
The answer is found in Romans 10:9 "Because if you acknowledge and confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and in your heart believe that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."
If you are serious about witnessing memorize this scripture! You may also want to have a Bible with you so you can show them the scripture in black and white.
What are the benefits of salvation?
Being saved means that you receive eternal life in heaven after your life on earth is ended. (John 3:16) Being saved means you are reconciled to God through Jesus Christ and you are in right relationship and right standing with Him. (Romans 5:8-10)


3) Find Out if the Person Wants Salvation
If they want to be saved you can pray the following prayer with them but be sure that they say the prayer aloud. Romans 10:9 says that you must confess with your mouth...


Prayer for Salvation
Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against you and that my sins separate me from you. Forgive me and help me to avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins and that He was
raised from the dead. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life. In Jesus' name I pray,
Amen.

4) The Next Step
Congratulate them on their new life with Christ and offer to help them find a church home.Once you are saved it is important to connect with a church where you can fellowship with other believers, build your faith by hearing the Word of God, and participate in corporate praise and worship.They can visit
www.usachurch.com to find a directory of churches in your area and visit www.gotquestions.org/now-what2.html for more information on their new life in Christ.

5) If They Decline
If they do not decide to accept Christ as their Savior don't be discouraged. You have planted a seed that may be watered by others and eventually grow into a strong believer. Continue to pray for them. It's also a good idea to leave them with something like a pamphlet or card explaining what salvation is and how to receive salvation. They may read it later and decide to accept Christ on their own.

6) A Final Word
Sometimes people can be a bit defensive about what you're sharing with them. When you tell them that salvation means going to heaven and they are not saved they could say " Are you saying I'm going to hell?" My pastor gave me a brilliant and tactful way to answer that. You can respond by saying "I'm not saying you're going to hell. I'm telling you what the Bible says." That way it doesn't seem like a personal attack or like you're judging them.

I pray that this is helpful and that God strengthens us and gives us wisdom as we go out and reach the lost.
If you have any other tips please leave a comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment